Falafel is a traditional Middle Eastern food. You can serve falafel in wraps or pitas, or just with salad. Falafel balls are naturally vegan and vegetarian. Falafel is great with salad, pickles, and hummus. Today I’ll share with you how to make falafel with canned chickpeas. What? Recipe for falafel with canned chickpeas? But every recipe on the internet says you can’t use canned chickpeas to make homemade falafel! Well, you can and will show you how. It can be a little tricky, but it’s possible! You just need to know my little secret to how to make falafel from canned beans.
This is for all of you who don’t have time to wait for the chickpeas to soak overnight and want a delicious falafel recipe today!
So let’s dive into it.
3 1/2 cups canned chickpeas, drained
2 red onions, roughly chopped
2 cups fresh parsley, chopped
1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, pressed
4 tsp. cumin
3 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. lemon juice
½ cup flour
sunflower oil for frying
1. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Add the chickpeas to the food processor, along with the onion, parsley, cilantro, pepper, garlic, cumin, salt, and black pepper.
2. Mix together. The texture shouldn’t be too smooth.
3. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Add flour and mix using your hands till the falafel are not sticky. If the mixture is too sticky, the falafel will fall apart while frying and it is very messy.
4. Heat sunflower oil in a pot on medium heat.
5. Use your hands or ice cream scoop to form the falafel into patties. If the falafel is too sticky or wet, add more flour.
6. Deep fry the falafel. The oil should covert the falafel. Tip: first fry only one patty to see I fit falls apart! I fit does, it means that it was too wet and you need to add more flour into the mixture!
Did you make this recipe? Leave a comment below.